Not too long ago, I was invited to a wine event from Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market, Vinos Con Amigos, at the Smog Shoppe in Culver City. I was thrilled to sample some of their delicious wine and to have the opportunity to learn more about their selection process. We were greeted by Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market’s wine expert, Richard Wherry who later talked to us about each wine we were tasting. We were surprised to learn that part of his job is to taste every single selection that they carry in their stores. That’s a lot of wine Richard! 😉 Aside from having the best job ever, he has a terrific palate. I’ve never been disappointed with any of the wines I’ve had the pleasure of enjoying.
Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market selects their wines from various vineyards around the world such as Spain, California, Chile, Argentina and so forth. Some of the wines we tasted included the following:
- Montcadi Cava – España
- Napa Family Bineyards Chardonnay – California
- Vine Yard Late Harvest Riesling – Washington State
- Hacienda Carmenere – Chile
- Ambas Malbec – Argentina
Of course, wine is best enjoyed with food. We were also treated to some of Chef Cynthia’s yummy hors d’oeuvres. The tasty nibbles paired nicely with the wine selections. One of my favorite wines of the evening was the Ambas Malbec from Argentina. It had a good body with a smooth finish- it picked up the spicy flavors of the guacamole I was savoring. Very nice. Surprisingly these wines are between $6 – $12 a bottle.
My friend Janis from Sneak Peek At Me and I carpooled to the event. We were pleased to be joined by some of our favorite bloggy amigas. Que chévere!!
Some of the tips we learned on how to savor the joy of drinking wine:
- Keep an open mind – Wines are to share and enjoy, and should enhance the experience at the dinner table. Most importantly, have fun and try something new. There is a wine for every taste and every personality.
- The most expensive wines are not necessarily the best – The brands and more expensive bottles are not necessarily the best. There are many wines under $10 a bottle that are excellent and high in quality.
- White and Red – As a general rule, try to serve a white wine as well as a red wine at parties. The idea is to combine the lighter-bodied wines with lighter dishes and wines with more body with heavier dishes. For example, white wines go well with seafood, salads and chicken, while red wines combine best with red meats and hearty dishes with sauce.
- Appetizers – Sparkling wines are ideal for most appetizers or hors d’oeuvres. Sparkling wines are an excellent choice for toasts at parties, as they stimulate the appetite and make your event even more festive.
The evening was topped off with a special treat for us to take home. My teens nearly gobbled up the chocolates! Niños gordos!! Thankfully I thought ahead and put some apart for my hubby and I to enjoy with the wine. As usual, I love coupons!! I quickly put it to use the following day.
Thank you Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market for the lovely evening with Vinos Con Amigos. I had a great time!! Thanks also for the special goodies that I was able to share with my family. *Besos*
The above review on this post is unbiased. I have not received monetary compensation to write this review, although I may have received a party favor that may or may not have been part of this review.